In 1882, David Giles established the Chattanooga Foundry and Pipe Company on the east bank of the Tennessee River. In 1898 this foundry joined with three Southern plants to form the American Pipe and Foundry Company and then consolidated with U. S. Pipe in 1899. Giles was credited with developing a turntable for pit casting and a mechanical rammer. In 1966, after joining with AP Smith Manufacturing, East Orange, NJ, production for valves and hydrants were moved to Chattanooga in 1970. US Pipe officially closed operations in 2007 and demolition has begun.
Click on each photograph for size, price and medium.