The company was originally founded in Piedmont, Alabama as Coosa Manufacturing in 1891. Standard Coosa Thatcher was established in Chattanooga in 1912 as the Standard Processing Company for mercerizing of cotton yarns. The Thatcher Spinning Company incorporated and was built in 1915.
In 1922 three companies consolidated (Coosa Manuf., Standard Processing Co., & Thatcher Spinning Co.) and operated under the Standard Coosa Thatcher name. The mills produced thousands of spindles of yarn, did mercerizing, gassing, bleaching and dyeing.
The company became the Standard Mercerizing and Specialty Yarn Co. in 1987 and closed for business in 2001. Some small businesses worked there but essentially it was abandoned and is currently under demolition.
Click on photographs for pricing, medium and size information.