Started by George Wheland in 1866 in Athens, TN, the foundry moved to the Chattanooga area in 1873.  Mr. Wheland built grist mills, saw mills, cane mills and water wheels.  Later, after recovering from a huge flood, they started making steam engines. The company expanded adding gun manufacturing, brake drums and other automotive castings to its inventory.  The foundry closed for operation in 2003 and has since been demolished.

Click on each photograph for size, price and medium.